If you’ve been charged with a DWI in Raleigh, your attorney will probably recommend that you take a Substance Abuse Assessment.

In order to get a Substance Abuse Assessment, you will need to set up an appointment with a qualified agency – usually a private treatment center. You will a private, one-on-one session with a counselor for about 40 minutes. The counselor will ask you a variety of questions about your use of alcohol or drugs. At the end of the session, the counselor will write-up an assessment which he will send to you or to your attorney.

Visit www.chetson.com/treatment for a list of Wake County DWI Substance Abuse Treatment Providers.

Your substance abuse assessment is valid for one year. It will recommend at least some form of treatment. At the lowest end, the assessment might recommend Alcohol and Driver Education classes. Or Out-Patient Treatment involving your attendance at 20 or 30 hours of evening or weekend classes. A the upper end, the assessment might recommend In-Patient Treatment for serious cases.

An assessment is required in order to request Limited Driving Privileges (LDP).

But, more importantly, getting a Substance Abuse Assessment and completing the recommended treatment program is the one and only thing you can do, following your DWI arrest, to help reduce the sentence that the judge will impose if you are convicted.

For that reason, most Raleigh DWI lawyers will recommend that you get the assessment (for your LDP) and, if necessary, perform treatment. Discuss this issue with your attorney before getting an assessment, and beginning treatment.

A Substance Abuse Assessment will cost $100. Pre-enrollment will cost another $25. Treatment costs vary, but can range from about $400 for 20 hours of Out-Patient Treatment to about $800 for 40 hours of Out-Patient Treatment. In-Patient Treatment is more expensive. Remember that you can take your assessment anywhere and shop around for the best cost for the treatment program.

Damon Chetson - 994 posts

Damon Chetson is a Board Certified Specialist in State and Federal Criminal Law. He represents people charged with serious and minor offenses in Raleigh, Wake County, and the Eastern District of North Carolina. Call (919) 352-9411.

Raleigh Criminal Lawyer