Claims of child abuse sometimes arise in failing marriages, where mom and dad have decided to divorce. Sometimes allegations of abuse – sometimes against the mother, but more often against the father – become weapons in custody battles involving minor children. The result can be a protracted and bitter divorce proceeding.

But sometimes if these allegations reach the attention of authorities – whether Child Protective Services (CPS) or the Department of Social Services (DSS) or other governmental agencies – that can become something more than wild accusations in bitter divorce proceedings.

They can become criminal accusations. If you’ve been accused of abusing your children by a spouse or soon-to-be ex-spouse or ex-wife or ex-husband, you should probable talk to a criminal lawyer about the matter. Call [#phone#].

In these cases, the parties may be represented by divorce attorneys, but sometimes divorce attorneys don’t have the best advice. In fact, sometimes divorce attorneys will allow one party to depose another party where allegations of child abuse or child sexual abuse have been raised.

This is almost always a bad decision, in large part because those depositions can be used against the accused party later in a criminal proceeding.

Sometimes CPS may be called, especially if a Child Medical Exam (CME) or Child Medical Evaluation (CME) or Child Family Evaluation (CFE) has been conducted which seems to indicate abuse. If children are being used by one parent to accuse another parent of abuse, the children themselves may come to believe they were actually abused.

Here’s the point: it is very important to consult with a Raleigh criminal lawyer or North Carolina Criminal lawyer about these matters as soon as possible. It, in general, it is wise to politely, but firmly decline to speak to authorities about abuse, except to deny it where appropriate.

Damon Chetson - 992 posts

Damon Chetson is a Board Certified Specialist in State and Federal Criminal Law. He represents people charged with serious and minor offenses in Raleigh, Wake County, and the Eastern District of North Carolina. Call (919) 352-9411.

Child Abuse