Different states call drunk driving by different names. Some states use the term “Driving Under the Influence” (DUI), and other states use the term “Driving While Impaired” or “Driving While Intoxicated” (DWI). Still other states have other acronyms, such as “Operating Under the Influence” (OUI).

It doesn’t matter what the offense is called. Each state has somewhat different laws about how to treat what is commonly called “drunk driving,” although in every state a blood alcohol concentration of .08 (BAC) is enough to convict the defendant of a DUI, DWI, or OUI.

In North Carolina, the offense is called Driving While Impaired (DWI).

Damon Chetson - 991 posts

Damon Chetson is a Board Certified Specialist in State and Federal Criminal Law. He represents people charged with serious and minor offenses in Raleigh, Wake County, and the Eastern District of North Carolina. Call (919) 352-9411.

Raleigh Criminal Lawyer